
Sweetly, I got off of work after only 6 hours today...F*** YEAH!
But before I got off of work delivering produce, I found this box at one of the restaurants and had to take a picture.
This is "Land O Lakes" food products, and they use this racist/sexist logo. You see, Indians are supposed to dress a certain way. This particular Indian woman is dressed in plains Indian fashion. Though probably supposed to represent Annishinabe, she is really pan Indian or plains. But this is a Hollywood style stereotype, and yes, racist.
The box photo is even funnier, if you will, considering it is for "half and half." We've been talking about mixed bloods, and the Indian woman portrayed in this stereotype logo is obviously mixed blood as well.
To me, the fact that she is on her knees is SEXIST. She is supposed to be submissive to the master, serving, if you will. A sexist stereotype I don't much appreciate.
Now, this is NOT the only racist stereotypes I see during my work delivering produce. I also see names like: chief, chieftain, and big chief. These usually have the Hollywood plains Indian stereotype logo.
This is a very important issue. You see, all this piles up to DEHUMANIZATION. It is not the ONLY source of dehumanization and humiliation of Indians by any means. It is a piece in the vast wall of oppression, genocide, rape, murder, economic destruction, environmental destruction, etc. This type of racism is INDEED destructive.
That is why the folks from South of the border made Frito's give up their "Frito Bandito." That is why blacks made "Black Sambos" quit using their racist logos. This is important. Don't downplay this. This is a piece of a greater system. A horrifying empire that occupies Indian land. This horrifying system is ran by the U.S. globally destructive empire. This is a piece of the system, and it doesn't stop there, and YES...I do know that.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Land O Racism
Posted by
Eugene
at
10:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|